Friday, October 7, 2011

"Those things break, you know!"

I'll start with apologizing for neglectful blogging. We've been in Athens for the last two days, and it's AMAZING here. The hotel is definitely the most beautiful I've ever stayed in, and we can see the Acropolis from our balcony! Pretty neat, huh? We've walked about a gazillion miles all around this area of Athens. There are so many nice little shops, and Syntagma Square is also within walking distance. Today we went on a bus tour of Athens, then to the Benaki Museum and drooled over all the costumes. We tried to visit the Acropolis at dusk like everyone suggested, but we got there as soon as the gate was closing at 6:30. So we decided to try Areopagus Hill. Seriously the most beautiful views I have ever seen. Another misadventure that turned out to be wonderful!

We've already hit up an outdoor restaurant called O Thanasis twice for dinner. Thank you Jenny Stas for suggesting it, the lamb "kebap" was the best I've ever tasted! I'm enjoying spending time with my Yiayia, she has been sharing so many memories of her previous journeys to Greece. We even drove past a hotel she recognized from her trip in 1956!

Now for our daily funny. As we were walking around Athens we saw this couple practically PG13-ing it on a bench. Yiayia just shakes her head, and when we walk past them again a few minutes later and the girl is sitting on the boy's lap, Yiayia goes "Well, I hope she's not crushing it." and when I start dying laughing she looks at me and says, "Those things break, you know!" I think it's safe to say she wasn't talking about his legs!!

Yiayia is going to start calling up relatives tomorrow. I'm so excited to meet them! Hopefully they won't be disappointed that I don't speak much Greek, but I know I'll pick up quite a bit by the end of our trip! Bed time for now, we wake up bright and early tomorrow to try for the Acropolis again. Kali nixta, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment