Saturday, October 8, 2011

(Insert Creative Title Here)

Today was a great day! We got up bright and early at 07:00 to make sure we didn't miss out on the Acropolis today. I was surprised at how short and easy the walk up there was. The views were amazing. Everything was definitely worth waiting 21 years for! The excursion went pretty smoothly until I sat on a wall to have Yiayia take a picture of the city behind me, which incurred the wrath of one of the employees up there who ran over yelling "Kato, kato, KATO!!!" Whoops! There were a ton of tourists up there, and doggies too! It's beyond me why they trek all the way up there. The dogs, I mean. We saw the theater where Yiayia, Papou, and the kids got to see an opera being performed back in the seventies.

After the Acropolis we walked back down the hill towards the Agora. There was a beautiful, old church down there. We also saw the recreation of the Agora with all sorts of statues from ancient times. We had lunch at a taverna in Plaka and let me tell you, as much walking as we are doing I think I'm still going to gain weight with all this great food we keep eating!

Yiayia finally got ahold of her family and we are meeting them for breakfast tomorrow at the Grand Bretagne Hotel, then going to Aliki's house to chat and maybe have lunch later on. I'm excited to meet them, and hopefully I'll be able to follow bits and pieces of the conversation.

There's no shortage of shops here, but making decisions on what to buy has never been so difficult! We have been into a gazillion shops looking for jewelry. I did find a little gallery on the corner by our hotel where the artist and his wife sell his sculptures, paintings, and amazing handmade jewelry. His artwork is very modern and each of his pieces have deep meaning. His English was impeccable so he was able to tell me about many of his pieces, what inspired him to create each artwork and the messages he was trying to convey in each one. Check him out: Yanni Souvatzoglou

Dinner was at the taverna right next to the one where we ate for lunch. I don't think that made the man at the first restaurant very happy- when we were walking down the opposite side of the street after dinner he was shouting across, "Which was better?! Eh!" The patsitsio I had for dinner was to die for- definitely the best bechamel.

Bedtime so I can function tomorrow. Kali nixta! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment